Saturday, August 30, 2008

Back to school shopping

I went back to school shopping for clothes for the first time without my mother. Yep. It's the first time I went on a spending spree since high school or college (for clothes that is... I've been on spending sprees for lots of other stuff). After 10+ years, I needed some new clothes. I did go to GoodWill a couple of year ago, but I don't think that counts.

I set out early in the morning (the benefits of being a crummy sleeper). Most of you know that I HATE shopping, but today was a pretty decent day. I found a lot of cute, inexpensive tops that I can mix and match. I've never been a shoe fan, but the ladies at work are, and they are slowly converting me. I found a few pairs on clearance, including a pair of sandals. It is my 3rd attempt at replacing my old, scummy sandals. Finally I found a pair that are comfortable!

I did have a hard time finding pants (as I always do). I've learned a few things:

1. If you are in between two sizes, and you take both of those sizes into the dressing room with you, always try on the higher size first. It makes you feel better to have one size fit, then having one that does and one that doesn't.

2. Labor Day weekend is a great time to go shopping. Lots of great sales. Not a lot of kids out.

3. The people that are sewing pants now seem to think all of us are over 6 feet tall.

4. Try on your clothes BEFORE you get them home.

5. Make sure you don't buy too many pieces that look the same. I came home and washed all of my clothes, hanging them to dry, and found out that I had 5 new cream/white ruffly shirts. Good thing I have lots of different cute shoes to dress them up with!

PS- Dan is in need of a new wardrobe as well, so he is going out tomorrow. Of course, I will be supervising.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Good for you Susan! I think that teachers definitely deserve to have a little back to school shopping as well.... maybe for often than every 10 years. =)

Laura said...

oops... I meant "more" often (not "for often")